History

Bell Bridge

Barlow Township was established in July 1818. It was probably named in memory of Joel Barlow. The village of Barlow was originally known as the “White Oak Settlement.” Located in the western portion of Washington County, approximately thirteen miles west of Marietta.  Barlow Township includes the villages of Barlow, Vincent, and Fleming.
Ohio’s oldest independent fair, The Barlow Fair, was organized in August of 1872 as the Barlow Agricultural Association and is held in late September.

According to the 1820 census, the population of Barlow Township was 316. Among the first settlers in the township were Lawtons, Vincents, Greens, Proctors, Breckenridges, Houghlands, Demings, Palmers, and others. The 2010 census reports the population as 2,618.

The James Lawton, Sr. home in Barlow, which was built around 1819, served as an Underground Railroad station. According the local historian Henry Burke, Church Tuttle, from Monroe County, Ohio, joined James Lawton, Sr. and other abolitionists in Barlow sometime during the 1850’s.

The village of Vincent was home to two of the better-known Southeastern Ohio gunsmiths, John Vincent and his son, John Caleb Vincent. They produced the once famous Vincent rifles. Their firearms are noted for their high degree of workmanship and simplicity of line and style. Together their work spanned over 70 years, producing firearms from their modest shops in the village of Vincent.

Barlow Township is home to two covered bridges. The Bell Bridge, located on Bell Road northwest of Barlow, was built in 1888. The Mill Branch Bridge, built in 1832, was relocated to the Barlow Fairgrounds about 1980